Principal, Director of Investments
Loring brings over 35 years of design-build and real estate development experience to BUILD. Loring founded Sagan Design Group and Sagan Rich Construction Management in 1978 to design and build luxury lakeside homes in the Tahoe basin. He then co-founded Resort Design Group in 1994 to design, build, and manage environmentally- responsible boutique lodges in California, and internationally. Several of RDG’s projects, most notably Post Ranch Inn, Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort, and The Lodge at Skylonda, won international awards for design, hospitality, and environmental stewardship. Loring co-founded Sagan Piechota Architecture (SPA) with architect Daniel Piechota in 1997, an on-going successful firm run by Mr. Piechota. SPA primarily designs modern homes, wineries, and restaurants. Prior to starting his career in architecture and real estate development, Loring was a full-time professional artist, working with clay as a medium, making folk crafts, sculpture and drawing in Switzerland, France and the US. His passion for design excellence and collaboration has a strong influence on all BUILD projects.
Loring is also a partner in Piccino restaurant in San Francisco along with his wife Margherita, a native Italian from Tuscany. The original small corner café has evolved into a 3 star hub of the neighborhood for the past 5 years. Several new hospitality projects are currently in the process of being designed for opening 2016 and 2017.
In addition to real estate, Loring invests in various ventures, collaborating and bringing together a variety of entrepreneurial individuals to create economic, social and environmental benefits for the community and investors alike.
- Homes on Esprit Park (San Francisco): 142 residential and five commercial condominium units in San Francisco, 2008.
- Lodge at Skylonda (Woodside, Calif.): 16-room luxury spa, lodge and restaurant, 1997.
- Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort (Vanua Levu, Fiji): rehabilitation of a 30-room luxury family and education centric diving resort, 1997.
- Fern Ridge Resort & Master Plan (Belize): 40-room luxury eco-lodge, 1996.
- Brockway Hot Springs (Lake Tahoe, Calif.): 20-unit luxury single-family home subdivision, conversion of a historic hotel and spa, 1995.
- Post Ranch Inn (Big Sur, Calif.): 30-room luxury lodge, 1994.
- North Tahoe Regional Community & Recreational Complex (Lake Tahoe, Calif.), 1991.
- Advisor to Marstone, a financial services startup
- Advisory board, Public Bikes
- Advisory board, La Scuola International School, a San Francisco-based private Italian IB program
- Board member, The Green Trust SF—Central Waterfront, San Francisco
- Co-founder, The Lake Forest School, Tahoe City, Calif.
- Board of trustees, The Nueva School, Hillsborough, Calif. (1993-97)
- Tahoe City Design Review Committee (1985-91)
- B. A., University of California, Santa Barbara